This week the murder of George Floyd has reminded us of the institutional racism that exists not only in the US but in this Country. The oppression that is experienced by black people all over the world. Many are speaking out but the question raised within Mayday is what follows the pain and outrage
Can we create something now that survives beyond the hashtag?
I have felt distraught, ashamed that I haven’t done enough but I am determined to do more.
I am inspired by the advice of Dr. Muna Abdi:
- Own your privilege
- Talk about the uncomfortable
- Be strategic in your activism
- Figure out where and how you can do the most good
- Start where you are
- Ask yourself what do I want the future to look like
- Do your research
- Resist the white savior complex
- Start with your own circle
- Be brave